Q Theatre’s Artist in Residence Program Q Theatre Lab is now open
Q LAB is Q Theatre’s annual artist residency program hosted by the Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre. The residency is designed to make creative space and time for the development of dynamic projects at an early stage of their conception.
Projects are selected through an open callout process and successful applicants will receive financial assistance, work-space in the Allan Mullins Studio as well as technical and dramaturgical support for dedicated creative development.
Q LAB is based on a commitment to supporting the development of independent artists and projects in the local Western Sydney area and the vibrancy that occurs as a result.
Building on the successes of previous residency programs, Q Theatre invites artists or groups of artists with a passion for a creative Penrith to apply for a Q LAB ’18 Residency.
“Q Theatre wants to help you dream up something big.”- Nick Atkins, Creative Producer
The 2017 Q Lab recipients were emerging playwright Joel Burrows, cross-disciplinary performers Carolyn Eccles and Sean O’Keeffe, theatre-makers Emily Ayoub and Clockfire Theatre Company, and performance makers Rachel Roberts and Nathan Harrison.
Successful applicants will receive:
- $2000 in artist fees
- 2 x weeks space in the Allan Mullins Studio with dramaturgical and technical support
Applications open: 23 October 2017
Applications close: 22 November 207
Successful projects will be notified December 2017
Over the first half of 2018 The Q will support three independent artists or groups of artists in the development of a new project. For a list of projects previously supported by the Q Lab program, click here.
Residency periods available in 2018 are:
- 8 January – 19 January
- 29 January – 9 February
If none of these residency periods are suitable for your project we encourage you to apply anyway and make a note of dates that would suit your project.
Q Lab is open to both emerging and established artists working across contemporary performance and theatre.
Q Theatre provides:
- $2000 cash for artist fees
- Two weeks full time studio space during business hours within the Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre
- Technical support (up to 6 hours)
- Dramaturgical support (up to 6 hours)
- Access to available studio lighting, sound and AV equipment
- The opportunity for a public presentation
- The work created and supported through Q Lab will be considered for further development with Q Theatre
- Artistic rationale and process
- Potential of project for development with Q Theatre
- Calibre of the artistic team and key personnel
We strongly encourage applications from artists that identify as Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander, Culturally & Linguistically Diverse and/or have a demonstrated connection to Western Sydney.
Q lab applications should include the following:
- Project proposal (max 2 pages)
- What do you want to do?
- How do you want to do it?
- Who is involved?
- Why do you want to do it now?
- Names and biographies of proposed artist/ artistic teams. (max 2 pages)
- Contact number and your current post code
- Preferred time for your residency
- Optional – Examples of previous work
(5 photos, 10 minute maximum show reel or web link)
- Files total should not exceed 10mb in total. If your support material exceeds this limit please use a file sharing platform such as Dropbox or call us to troubleshoot.
Applications should be sent to Nick Atkins via email – email@example.com with the subject heading: ‘Q Theatre Lab – Insert Project Title.’
* If successful, residency dates will be subject to negotiation.
For further information you can email Nick (please bear in mind that Nick is currently in rehearsals so may not get back to you immediately – but he will get back to you)