The Q’s Artist in Residence Program Q Lab is now open
Q LAB is The Q’s annual residency program. Projects included in Q LAB are selected through an annual open call process and are provided with artist fees, space, technical and dramaturgical support. Q LAB is based on a commitment to supporting the development of independent artists and projects in the local Western Sydney area and the vibrancy that occurs as a result.
Successful applications will receive:
- $2000 in artist fees
- 2 x weeks space in the Allan Mullins Studio with dramaturgical and technical support
Start a conversation with The Q – Apply Now!
Applications open: 19 October 2016
Applications close: 25 November 2016
Successful projects will be notified December 2016
Over the first half of 2017 The Q will support four independent artists or groups of artists in the development of a new project. For a list of projects previously supported by the Q Lab program, click here.
Residency periods available in 2017 are:
- 9 January – 20 January
- 23 January – 3 February
- 6 February – 17 February
- 20 February – 3 March
If none of these residency periods are suitable for your project we encourage you to apply anyway and make a note of dates that would suit your project.
Q Lab is open to both emerging and established artists working across contemporary performance and theatre.
The Q provides:
- $2000 cash for artist fees
- Two weeks full time studio space during business hours within the Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre
- Technical support (up to 6 hours)
- Dramaturgical support (up to 6 hours)
- Access to available studio lighting, sound and AV equipment
- The opportunity for a public presentation
- The work created and supported through Q Lab will be considered for further development with The Q
- Artistic rationale and process
- Potential of project for development with The Q
- Calibre of the artistic team and key personnel
We strongly encourage applications from artists that identify as Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander, Culturally & Linguistically Diverse and/or have a demonstrated connection to Western Sydney.
Q lab applications should include the following:
- Project proposal (max 2 pages)
- What do you want to do?
- How do you want to do it?
- Who is involved?
- Why do you want to do it now?
- Names and biographies of proposed artist/ artistic teams. (max 2 pages)
- Contact number and your current post code
- Preferred time for your residency
- Optional – Examples of previous work
(5 photos, 10 minute maximum show reel or web link)
- Files total should not exceed 10mb in total. If your support material exceeds this limit please use a file sharing platform such as Dropbox or call us to troubleshoot.
Applications should be sent to Nick Atkins via email – firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: ‘Q Lab – Insert Project Title.’
* If successful, residency dates will be subject to negotiation.
For further information you can email Nick or give him a call on (02) 4723 7623.
Black Birds was part of Q Lab in 2016 and will be presented as part of The Q’s public program in 2017.
Image – Ayeesha Ash, Photographer – Alana Dimou